From Darkness into Light

From Darkness into Light
From Darkness into Light by Dall'ombra Alla Luce courtesy of WikimediaCommons

Monday, July 2, 2012

An Unusual Piece Finds a Home

My flash fiction "Midnight Calls" has been accepted by the folks at Plasma Frequency Magazine, a new bi-monthly speculative fiction magazine. The story is a rather quirky, dark piece that I was fond of, and I'm so glad it's found a good home. It's slated for publication in Issue #2 (Oct '12).

The genesis of this story came from a quick image I had as I was trying to get back to sleep one night. The image was of a crow -- in a waistcoat, I think -- in a dark alley, knocking on a door. The idea of a crow getting into a bar (the thing I imagined the door leading to) conjured an image from the book "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire, where one scene had people and Animals (not animals) in a nightclub. Something disturbing involving a Tiger happened to one of the characters and he was never quite the same again. That scene stuck with me, and so, armed with my crow and my nightclub and a tiger, along with a few of the darker legends of crows, the seeds of a new flash story sprouted.