From Darkness into Light

From Darkness into Light
From Darkness into Light by Dall'ombra Alla Luce courtesy of WikimediaCommons

Monday, May 9, 2011

'Reading' Books on CD

I rarely read actual books anymore due to time constraints and a need for sleep, so for the past few years I have ‘read’ nearly all of my books on CD in the car as I drive. It has the disadvantage of cutting off the story when I cut off the engine, rather than when I want to stop, but overall it has allowed me to read one to four books a month that I otherwise would never get to.

I listened to a commentary by Orson Scott Card not too long ago (at the end of the CD of Ender’s Game) and he said that writing produced as spoken art was his preferred medium. (Makes sense - he used to be a playwright.) I tend to agree with him, and the vast majority of books I have gotten on CD have been well-read and a pleasure to listen to. I’ve posted a list in the sidebar of just a few of the books I’ve read recently on audio CD.

(Not to take anything away from helping authors sell their work, but the library system in this country is an incredible free resource for both written and recorded books. Check it out if you haven’t been to your local library lately!)

No comments:

Post a Comment