From Darkness into Light

From Darkness into Light
From Darkness into Light by Dall'ombra Alla Luce courtesy of WikimediaCommons

Monday, August 23, 2010

Good News and Bad News

The bad news this week was that my laptop crashed. I feel very lost without it.
The good news was that, once I finally figured out how to log in to my e-mail from another computer, I found a message waiting for me from the editor of The Absent Willow Review. He let me know that my fantasy short story, "Beyond the Gates" has been accepted for publication in the November 15th issue!

Addendum - In keeping with my newly formed tradition of posting the genesis of my stories when they are accepted, I'm going to backtrack to add this one. I remember thinking about doing this when Beyond the Gates was accepted, but decided the origins of this story were too convoluted. I have since decided to give it a try in the hopes that the process of the creation of a new story is interesting to someone besides just me.
The story of Drustan and Isolde (or Tristan and Iseulte, or one of the other variants) has captivated me ever since reading The White Raven by Diana Paxon somewhere around 25 years ago. Thinking about that story recently, I wondered what it would be like for a warrior who was thought dead to return home again. From there, I wondered what it would be like if his homeland rejected him, thinking he was a spirit. This was the story I began writing but, as usual, my characters took over and the story morphed into its final, and quite different, incarnation.

No comments:

Post a Comment